Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Free"kin" Awesome Family Reunion 2010

October 8-10 2010

Over the weekend, 53 Free descendants gathered at Little Creek Cabin up Paragonah Utah Canyon for a marvelous family reunion. That was not the whole family either. We were missing a couple families such as: Elizabeth & Ben Campbell, most the Silva clan, and all the Christiansen family. The cabin was rustic and spacious decorated with wild game decorations, farm antiques, etc. There were many trails to hike on, a couple horses on the property, and cattle roamed near the area! Most people got a log bed to sleep on. There were a few bodies in random places like a hammock, coaches, or air mattresses. We had an amazing time among family members playing games, eating great food, hiking, riding four wheelers, playing football, and so forth.











We arrived late afternoon on Friday just before dinner. John and I were in charge of organizing the menus and food helpers/clean up assignments. Each Free sibling was in charge of one meal and the grandchildren were the meal helpers/clean up crew. The adult grandchildren were in charge of the desserts. I believe the meals went smoothly and nobody went hungry. Friday night we enjoyed Navajo tacos and sconces made by Del Tso(a beautiful Indian woman who lived with the Free family as their foster child many years ago). We had free time afterward dinner which most people played games, talked, and so forth.



Grandpa with the yummy Navajo taco and Justin with a honey butter scone!



My youngest daughter sleeping in the loft with her two cousins Mandy and Brandon.



Saturday morning John and I were in charge of breakfast. We made vegetable sausage patties, hash browns, French toast, scrambled eggs, cantaloupe, and orange juice. It was a huge success and the only leftovers we had was hash browns which was fantastic due to limited space on refrigerator and coolers.



Next, we divided into groups (kids/granny/grandpa, young girls, young boys, college age adults, and the old adults) for scripture study. We read and discussed our scripture and had to come up with a fun way to present it to the whole family. The young kids did an awesome job acting out the story of Joseph Smith having surgery without any alcohol (a bottle of ketchup was one of the props, lol). My youngest daughter was a nurse that helped clean Joseph Smith's leg. Next the young girls did a cute skit that included a lot of singing! My oldest daughter was the narrator. The rest of the presentations were so creative and outstanding. There is a lot of talent in this family!







After scripture study, many of us went on an hour hike in the foothills near the cabin. We came back ate lunch chili, corn bread, fruit and grilled vegetables by Marilee and Rich Nelson. After lunch, we played a game of family feud, which my niece Holly worked very hard making the power-point and organizing the surveys. We then had free time for a couple hours. John played touch football with the boys while many of the girls got haircuts by Del Tso. My oldest daughter got her hair chopped too! It is a cute tomboy layered haircut with bangs that totally fits her personality!





Later that evening we had a delicious variety of soups and Top Raman (for kids) for dinner and homemade bread for dinner by Joe and Diana Free. After dinner we gathered in a HUGE circle and shared the following things with everyone:

1. What is one thing you are particularly thankful for over the last 15 years?

I am thankful for being FREE! I absolutely love my family and extended family members who have taught me how love, serve, be faithful, and find joy in simple things in life.

2. What is one piece of advice you would give yourself if you could go back 15 years?

I would tell myself not to be so hard on myself! I NEED to ask for help from others especially from my Savior. I would tell myself the importance of the Atonement, which is not only for repentance but giving my burdens to Jesus Christ through prayer. In addition, I would tell myself you're a child of God and Heavenly Father loves you very much.

3. What is one thing you are going to work on now as a result of conference or other personal study?

We are working on having regular family prayer/scripture study and being moderate in all things such as changing our eating habits, adding daily exercise, and budget our money better!

4. What is something you are seeking to accomplish/be/do or whatever in 15 years?

I would like to be a mother of four (two boys and two girls)and finish my college degree.

The next morning we had a simple breakfast and attended church in my in-law's Paragonah ward, which was 30 minutes away. I could tell my mother-in-law was so thrilled to have so many family members visiting her ward! For lunch, Dave and Kristin made a variety of yummy sandwiches, hot chocolate, and fruit. We had free time for the rest of the day. My daughter and husband loved holding the babies! John, Justin,the girls, and I went on the four wheelers. The kids played on the playground, held barn kittens, molded clay figures, played card games, etc. Matt and Chiaki made an amazing grilled chicken teriyaki rice bowel!





















After dinner, it was time for us to go. The weekend flew by so quick! We enjoyed hanging out with the family and felt love for each other! What a magnificent weekend filled with smiles, laughter, songs, love, and appreciation of the great outdoors!

1 comment:

Trishelle said...

It always makes me so happy to hear about these reunions. Obviously, you are an awesome family with so much love for each other!