Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beat Beethoven 5K Run

Since the last week of August 2010, John and I made a commitment with ourselves to lose weight and live a healthier life style. We are tracking our food and exercise everyday on a free calorie counter and exercise journal at www.myfitnesspal.com You can find us there (sunfreeflower and phatzzzs). Add us as your friends and we will help encourage you on your weight loss/exercise goals.

One of our first goals was to be able to complete a 5K race. We registered for a local race called Beat Beethoven 5k on September 11, 2010. All the money collected went to support the arts in our community. Our nephew Justin trained and ran the race with us! We have never entered a race before nor trained for one. We trained for about 2 1/2 weeks for the 5K(speed walking, jogging, and sprinting) near our house on the canal path. We were aware that was not enough time to train for a 5K but we did it for fun and didn't care about our times! I got me some new cute white, pink, gray, and black running shoes! Since I have a high arch, Nike Air Pegasus Running Shoes shoes gave me some extra cushion while jogging! :D




Here we are with pre-race jitters! We were warming up at the Pleasant Grove Recreation Center. The race started at the brand new fitness center and ended near the old recreation center near city hall.





On race day, I was doomed with a sinus head cold and cough! I did my best jogging most of it and walked a little at the end. I felt like crap at the end (like I was run over by a train)! John was able to walk/slow jog and still beat me! I guess it due to his long legs, lol! As for my nephew Justin, he was in better shape than us! To our surprise, he was fast enough to beat Beethoven with little training at all! Wow, way to go Justin! I have to add there was a man dressed like Beethoven. He was wearing a crazy long gray hair wig and wearing the traditional running outfit (tight shorts and t-shirt). He was also pushing kids in a jogging stroller. He was the man to set our pace too if we wanted to beat Beethoven. He looked hilarious! I wished we got a photo of him, lol! Anyway, the goal was to beat Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 piece, which is approximately 30.55 minutes long.







The results were as the following: John 40:41.6,59 place overall, and 6th place in Men 30-39 group nice job, John! Jen 40:51.5, 80 place overall, and 21 place in 30-39. Justin 26:53.4, 28th place overall, and 11 place Men's 20-29 group and he beat Beethoven. Justin got a groovy pin that says, "I beat Beethoven." All I can say is we crossed the finish line and look forward to improving our times and pace in another race in the future! Yay!



No comments: