Monday, August 01, 2011

What Is An American?

After looking thoroughly through my mother's book of remembrance, I found a copy of my mother's “What Is An American?” essay, which she wrote in 1971!  It was the essay that she received the George Washington Honor Medal Award at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.  It was buried beneath other documents in her plastic sheets in her book of remembrance.  I was so thrilled to read it and felt her American patriotism.  
My Mother at Otis Air Force Base 

July 4, 1971

Ambassadors of World Affairs
Neighbors of the World

Dear Neighbors,

Our country began with 101 passengers and a crew of 48 on a ship called the "Mayflower" which landed on Cape Cod, Massachusetts in November 1620.

They came here searching for religious freedom from their native country England and found it.  Ever since that day a lot of you have come here to live.  People from France, Spain, Italy, Japan, South America, and Africa came to find a welcome mat.

Each of us came here for happiness, freedom, and believing that all men were created equal.  For many years, we tested ourselves in these beliefs and battled till one day we became an independent nation.

Even today we are tempted by war, witnessing freedom by bitter peace, and bearing many burdens as any nation would.  We have a choice in who is to represent us in the government called a Democracy.  It is not always perfect as we would like it to be, but we have more than one choice. Our greatest enemy is the wars we fight in ourselves.  We do not have confidence in ourselves unless we have faith in the wisdom of those who lead us.

This country is of law and order.  We help make the laws since they protect us from those who want our freedom as well as their own.  I want to be your friend and everyone's friend.  We like to help those who need us. Many of you suffer from hunger, misfortunes, and are battling for your own freedoms.  Many lives have been sacrificed on this land and at work already with hope to make this a world of peace for us all.

We've earned this heritage, learning from hardships, and having faith even though it asks more of us than we can get in return.  Our courage, tolerance, and vision is for progress.  We work hard and try to be compassionate to those who do not feel the same as us.

Everyday I see the eternal peace in my heart as I salute the flag of this continent. Its red, white, and blue colors waving in the breeze mean so many things to me.

People respect my opinion.  Someone may judge me, but I'm not guilty till they prove it.  Every Sunday I can worship God as I please.

I can always find a friend.  I never cry for long, never go to bed hungry, and someone will miss me when I die.  There are as many different people here as in the tribes of Israel.  Out of all of us, we become one in judgment of God.

At night I can sleep and awake to bells ringing.  I think those bells are called, "Bells of Freedom." In gratitude I say, I'm glad to be an American.

Yours Sincerely, An American
Sergeant Jill Dawn Killitz,  United States Air Force

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, the contents existing at this site are
actually remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work
fellows.

Here is my page; injury lawyers new york **