Friday, February 04, 2011

Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches

I love this simple cake mix cookie recipe.  It is definitely kid friendly!  My kids had a lot of fun making homemade ice cream sandwiches! I got this recipe idea from  Cake Mix Cookies @ Our Best Bites.  I altered the recipe by adding another egg.  For whatever reason, the dough was too dry for me.  The cookie batter was better for me with three eggs instead of two.  So try it out with two eggs first to see how the dough reacts then add another egg if you need to. :D  This would be a fun and easy Family Home Evening treat!


Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches

1 chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup shortening
2-3 eggs
Your favorite ice cream

Yield 15-20 ice cream sandwiches (depending on how small you roll your cookie dough).

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine cake mix, shortening, and eggs.  Mix well (will be stiff). Then roll the dough into small balls and drop onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 5-7 minutes.  Allow them to cool on the baking sheet DO NOT PUT THEM ON WIRE RACK to cool.  The cookie will fall through the cracks or fall apart (trust me on this because I made the mistake)! You could place the cookie sheet in the freezer to speed up the cooling process.  Once the cookies are cool on the flat surface of the cookie add a spoonful of your favorite ice cream and add another cookie on top of the ice cream gently smashing them together.  We had the following ice creams: chocolate, vanilla, and chocolate chip mint.  I am sure it would be great with neapolitan, strawberry, or any ice cream!  You may eat them right away or freeze them for later.  They are great the next day!  Yum and enjoy!

1 comment:

Aisling said...

This looks like a yummy and indulgent recipe. :) I think i'll try them this weekend. MMMmm. Brett and i usually have a movie night on friday where we have a bowl or two of ice-cream, but ice-cream cookies might be really fun.